Monday 1 April 2013

Frank Morgan Road Race 2013 (3rd)




Another cold but sunny days racing around Kirkby Industrial estate but the shorts were on and I was up for today. So race day was pretty enjoyable, many people trying to break away with no success. I had a few goes myself but nothing was sticking. 

Andy Wright told me where to attack (kodak factory) and I did... Stayed away for two laps at a comfortable effort but no one was making the move across to me which I was hoping they would have. So two laps later I came back to the bunch and recovered after that effort. A lap or so later I found myself in another break, which again was not the right one. The race had come down to about 8 laps to go. Something had to stick soon, coming into that bend by the kodak factory there was a group of about 5 riders about 10 seconds in front. This was the move to be in... David Williams looked like he was dropping back to the bunch but then rode away getting onto the break. My team mate John Guy (High on Bikes) did a great job of attacking getting three quarters of the way across to the break. I then made my effort across to John and carrying on to the break hoping John would get on my wheel but he didn’t. I owe John for that one! This was the break that was going all the way to the finish. It contained me Ryan Pike (High on Bikes) David Williams (kuota) Frank Pilkington (Bill Nicksons cycles) Richard Watson (Paramount Stans cycles) and Kristian Zentek (Team Leapfrog) and Tim Lawson (wheelbase) We all started to work well together with the laps counting down... We had about 30 seconds on the bunch and it kept jumping up to a minute and then coming back down. Obviously the bunch were trying the hardest to bring us back. With 3 laps to go Tim Lawson hit one of the many pot holes on the course, causing him to puncture and resulting in the 6 strong break going to a 5 man break. One of the two lead cars pulled over to get behind the break at that point I knew we were away for good. Riding through the bell lap I was feeling great, even if I was feeling like I wanted to throw up. Coming into the final bend still all 5 of us together it was a tail wind finish. Frank and Kristian had a tiny advantage and managed to get 1st (Frank) and 2nd (Kristian) and me taking 3rd in a very close sprint. Over all I am very happy with my performance and fitness at this stage of the season.
Sprint finish for the 5 man break away
3rd place for Ryan Pike

2.6 miles, 2:07:40, 24.7 average (race)
 
1st: Frank Pilkington, Bill Nixon Cycles, 
2nd: Kris Zentek, Team Leapfrog
3rd: Ryan Pike, High On Bikes
 
My two team mates.
 
16th  Dillion Yates High On Bikes 
31st  John Guy High on Bikes st
 

No comments:

Post a Comment